Labour of Love Aromatherapy Birth Kit
- Achy Breaky Rub- for back pain and helping to ease the early stages of labour
- Calendula Salve to assist with Perinenal Massage, conditioning nipples and even for use on your new babe's bottom!
- Prelude Essential Oil Birth Blend- to calm the anxious mind during pregnancy and the early stages of labour
- In the Moment Essential Oil Birth Blend - to help activate and focus on the birth process as it progresses into transition and later stages.
- Instruction sheet with suggestions on how to use the kit as well as detailed instructions on how to perform perineal massage.
How the Labour of Love Aromatherapy Birth Kit came about:
Recently I met the incredibly talented Natalie Burgess of yoga and baby massage fame in Margaret River, Western Australia.
Natalie originally approached Moon Haven to formulate an unscented massage oil suitable for use in her yoga baby massage classes for new mums and their babes. We found that our unscented massage oil base to be the perfect combination of oils for both mother and babes skin.
Natalie is now offering an incredible series of workshops dealing with yoga for pregnancy, labour and beyond. Armed with her beautifully written manual I set about putting together a suitable aromatherapy kit for use in the later stages of pregnancy and through labour and the birth periods and would be suitable to offer to Natalie’s workshop participants. The result was our new Labour of Love Aromatherapy Birth Kit.
With two salves - Achy Breaky Rub for the aches and pains of the latter stages of pregnancy and the lower back aches of early labour and Calendula Salve to assist when performing Perineal Massage ( i can feel you all cringe from here!) we were off to a good start.
With the help of Stacey (of Herb Girl fame) we set about formulating two essential oil blends - one to soothe and relax during the first anxious stages of labour and one to help with focussing and activating labour during the transition and the second stage right up until birth.
We also wanted the two blends to be able to be blended together so that the transition was smooth and not jarring. So that the oil burner did not need to be cleaned out but one oil could be placed on top of the other and still remain pleasant.
The resultant birth blends are
- Prelude for the first stages and after the birth
- In the Moment for the later stages of labour and the actual birth
Based on uplifitng Mandarin both blends are delightful on their own but come into their own when they are combined. As Prelude tapers off and In the Moment takes over the scents released are quite amazing.
We have had wonderful feedback from our testers I look forward to welcoming our new mums and their lovely babes into Moon Haven and listening to their birth stories. I will keep you all posted.
I was really glad I purchased this aromatherapy kit for my labour. The scented oils were warmed in the burner in the bathroom as I relaxed (or tried to!!) in the bath, I found putting a couple of oil drops on a wet washer and breathing with it near my face was a delicious distraction from the contractions. The back rub was absolute heaven, so rich and smooth. It really made a difference as I headed towards transition and the lower back pressure started building up. My midwife also said the products smelled divine!! I had a great labour experience and healthy baby girl. Lovely products, thanks Moonhaven.