Want to Save Your Skin? Stop Using Body Wash
Everyone seems to use it.
You’ll find it in most bathrooms.
They smell nice, create loads of bubbles and leave no trace in your bathroom.
Body washes are great…aren’t they?
For many people a body wash suits them just fine. BUT for a large percentage of people we see at the moon haven cottage it is their body wash and liquid soaps that are causing all manner of skin ailments, itches and pain.
You see 98% of the body washes on the market contain Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS).
It is the ingredient that gives these products the foamy, bubbly consistency most of us associate with a squeaky clean
Sodium Lauryl Sulfate is also used in other skincare products such as cleansers, shampoos, hand washes. and surprisingly toohpaste.
Why is Sodium Lauryl Sulfate so nasty?
SLS is known to be a strong skin irritant. It can strip the skin of its natural oils which in turn causes dry skin, irritation and reactions.
It can also be very irritating on the eyes and other mucous membranes…yes ladies you know what I’m talking about!
Inflammatory skin reactions can include
- itchy skin
- irritated scalp,
- contact dermatitis
- Significantly aggravate skin conditions such as psoriasis etc
- irritate mucous membranes and so encourage candidiasis (thrush) and other yeast overgrowth syndromes.
What can you do?
- Limit your exposure to products which contain SLS
- Use a handmade solid soap bar in the shower and at the sink -Try one of our bars - of course all of our soap is sls free.
- Use a SLS free soap bar. Our Silken Shampoo Bar has rave reviews from people who suffered from scalp conditions like psoriasis and now won't use anything else.
- Find a toothpaste which does not list sls in its ingredients.\
- You water wherever possible.
Further Reading :