Making your own scented pine cones is one of the simplest ways to bring scent into your home.
They're so easy to make. And once you have found your pine cones they can be used again and again.
There are number of wonderful scents you can use Pine Essential Oil is an obvious choice but some other favourites you can try is the bush filled Scent of Margaret River Essential Oil Blend or the spicey christmassy scent of Thieves Essential Oil Blend.
What you need:
- Dried, opened pine cones - you can find these under pine trees at this time of year. Check out the neighbourhood, in parks etc
- Your essential oil or blend of choice
- Eye Dropper
- Large zip lock bag
What to do:
- Heat your oven to 160C
- Place pine cones on a baking tray lined with aluminum foil
- Place the pine cones and tray in the oven for 30 to 40 minutes to sterilise the pine cones and completely dry them out. If the cones are still a little damp place them back in the over until completely dry.
- Allow the cones to cool completely
- Place the cones onto a surface lined with several sheets of newspaper
- Using your dropper drop about 2 ml of your essential oil or blend onto the cones open "petals"
- Place the scented cones into a large sealed ziplock bag.
- Leave for 24 to 48 hours to allow the scent to permeate the pine cones.
- Place the cones in a basket or bowl and allow the scent to fill your spaces.To rejuvenate the scent repeat steps 6 - 9 as needed.